About the firm
- The firm was founded in 2006 by partners Adrian Smith, Gordon Gill and Robert Forest. Today there are more than 150 employees in offices in Chicago and Dubai.
- The office is dedicated to the creation of new paradigms for sustainable development.
- Design of high-performance, energy-efficient and sustainable architecture on an international scale.
- Believe that the future of architecture relies not on a changing aesthetic but on the implementation of an integrated process, predicated on an equal understanding and consideration of each project discipline.
- Adrian was a Design Partner in the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill from 1980 to 2003 and a Consulting Design Partner from 2004 to 2006.
- Design approach emphasizes sensitivity to the physical environment.
- Projects under his design direction have won over 90 major awards for design excellence
- His work has been featured in major museums in the United States, South America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Prior to founding Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture in 2006, Gordon was an Associate Partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and a Director of Design for VOA Associates.
- Was an Associate Partner in the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill before 2006
- A recognized authority on the economics of sustainable design,
- combined his knowledge to develop a system of best practices for the management of high-performance projects.
- Architecture has a unique power to influence civic life.
- A holistic, integrated design approach that emphasizes symbiotic relationship with the natural environment–a philosophy termed
- “Global Environmental Contextualism.“
- Consider building orientation, day lighting, generation of wind power, solar absorption, and a site’s geothermal properties
- Also represents a fundamental change in the design process, in which Form Facilitates Performance.
- Create structures that not only reduce their negative environmental impact, but in some cases, virtually eliminate it altogether.
- Interaction among building systems as well as between those systems and the natural environment, and seeks to improve each individual system’s performance.
- To create designs that aid society, advance technology, sustain the environment and inspire those around to improve our world.
- To create intelligent, high-performance, forward-looking designs that exhibit timeless and enduring qualities.
- To support the clients in the realization of their visions, while delivering the highest standard of design in the international practice of architecture.
- Matrix Gateway Complex
- Elphinstone Mills + Jupiter Mills,Mumbai, India
- Eco-Bridge,Chicago, Illinois
- Wings Museum
- Be the lowest energy consumer per square meter for a modern class A office building in an extremely hot and humid climate
- Compared with typical mixed-use buildings of the same size, the Headquarters will consume seventy percent less water.
- Feature one of the world’s largest building-integrated photovoltaic arrays
- Employ the largest solar thermal driven cooling and dehumidification system – the world’s lowest impact active building conditioning system
- Be the first building in history to generate power and protect workers during the construction process through a staged construction
- Will go beyond zero net energy, will be the world’s first mixed-use, large scale positive energy building.
- The building will utilize pioneering, never-before-seen technology in the creation of the aesthetically sound, functionally proficient and experientially superior development that will represent the city.
- Numerous systems that will generate a surplus of the building’s energy, eliminate carbon emissions and reduce liquid and solid waste.
- Inspired from the centuries of indigenous architecture, historically successful building strategies for the climate with the latest technology and innovative building systems, including some developed especially for the Masdar Headquarters.
- For exterior walls, Smith and Gill have developed their own patent-pending glazing system to keep the building’s interior cool.
- The facility also will be equipped with wind turbines, air quality sensors, and a thermal-driven cooling and dehumidification system
- Sprawling canopy lined with photovoltaics, resting on 11 massive glass hyperboloids. Underneath the canopy, a series of interconnected volumes, topped by green roofs, provide space for offices, retail stores, and residences.
- Sustainable and efficient from the beginning of construction- the building cones and roof can be built first, creating a shaded micro climate for the remainder of the construction and the roof, covered with photovoltaic panels, will provide enough power to build the rest of the building.
Some Structural Details:
- Thornton Tomasetti
- Upper Trellis: Top Chord Bracing
- As a positive energy complex, the project will have a far-reaching influence on the buildings of tomorrow
- Will set a new paradigm for the way buildings are designed, constructed and inhabited.
- Represents the perfect integration of architecture and engineering, resulting in a dynamic, inviting building that outperforms any other structure of its type in the world.