- BORN -Mumbai 19 June 1950.
- FAMILY– Parsi / Zoroastrian lineage included his mother Roshan,who was a teacher and his father Sorab Contrator , a business man.
- Education-He did his Graduate Diploma in architecture from Mumbai in 1975 and completed his graduation from Columbia University New York (USA) on a Tata Scholarship.
- Hafeez Contractor commenced his career in 1968 with T. Khareghat as an Apprentice Architect and in 1977 he became the associate partner in the same firm
- Between 1977 and 1980 Hafeez has been a visiting faculty at the Academy of Architecture, Mumbai. He is a member of the Bombay Heritage Committee and New Delhi Lutyens Bungalow Zone Review Committee.
- His practice had modest beginnings in 1982 with a staff of two. Today the firm has over 350 employees including senior associates, architects, interior designers, draftsmen, civil engineering team and architectural support staff.
- The architects believes that a company’s beliefs, visions, and values can be epitomized in a 3-D built form and its interior ambience.
- His designs are provocative and unpredictable.
- Hafeez is full of surprising and revolutionary ideas. His uncanny ability to change his architectural style from one commission to next is also a significant reason why his work is sought after by so many.
- He explains “architecture can give form to beliefs,and can make building into a real and arresting symbol of brand intent.”
- Previously he was more inclined towards a form based architecture but later on he designed in very mathematical manner.( site condition, client’s requirements, construction methodology and economics.)
- He has no style, he works according to clients need; if client want work according to Vaastu then he incorporate that in the design.
- He doesn’t do many details (but he wants) because of time and cost his forms so powerful that the building still looks detailed.
- He believes that your building should really reflect your socio-economic and climatic relations.
- Extensive use of glass and metallic panels on the facades confirms to the high tech expressions business seek to achieve.
- Never fixed plan
- Have axis but not always.
- Give stress on landscaped terrace.
- He picks elements from various typologies and use them as adornments for the exterior skin of the building.
- He always treats the the corner of the building.
- Location – Powai,Mumbai.
- Client – Hiranandani Const. Pvt. Ltd.
- Lake castle a residential apartment building ,nested in green surrounding of powaii,just a few miles away from main Bombay is one of the most spectacular product of eighties boom.
- The dominant feature of Lake castle is its massive scale. 183 m. linear length ,strikes you as an ocean ship going linear of a building with multiple decks anchored on the banks of powaii lake.
- Tower block is surrounded by large garden and 8 acre forest park,all the flats faces the lake.
- Creating a stepped mass profile ,which compliments the hills in the backdrop.
- The architectural form is mean to symbolize a city silhouette that is made of a varying shapes and sizes.
- The building is almost like a mirror reflecting the densely layered profile of the city itself.
- Lake castle is especially interesting because of a combination of ‘POP’ aesthetics, with conventionalized classical stylistics .
- Egyptian motifs are used in building facades ,like the treatment given to the columns,the friezes and the details of the iron work.
- The crescent shape projecting balconies ,curved projection and egyptian columns on the facades relieve the monotony into which building would have otherwise slipped .
- Large French windows are repetitive features on the facades.
- To mitigate the broadside effect of the cliff of the building ,it has been punctured with significant cutouts known as sky decks.
- further these the dramatic view of the sky though the building
- The stepped profile and two huge cutouts further add to lighten the building.